Friday, February 16, 2018

Where is common courtesy? Where is human decency?

Like so many others, my heart breaks for the families in Florida, and everywhere else that has dealt with school shootings.

When Columbine happened, the world stopped! We were in shock! We were horrified! We couldn’t believe that someone, anyone could be so heartless!

But eventually life went on, at least for the majority of the world. Some lives were changed forever, but after a few weeks, did we think about them at all? Maybe a passing sad thought, but that’s it.

Until it happened again. WHAT!? I can’t believe someone else did this. I can’t believe someone else took innocent lives without thinking twice.

And again, we were sad, but eventually went on. 

Until it happened again, and again, and again. Until finally, we are no longer horrified! It almost feels normal. Yes, it’s still horrible, but we just stand by & point fingers, try to find a motive, & scream from the rooftops it’s time for change.

I stumbled across THIS ARTICLE & it says so much about what we aren’t even talking about! It is time for change, but not from the government, not from the lawmakers, not from the President. It’s time WE changed! 

Just recently I overheard a group of young ladies discussing how someone threatened to kill hisself. You want to know their response... they laughed & said they would miss him. They weren’t even sure if it was worth telling someone, or contacting his parents. (For the record, I spoke up & said “YES, you need to tell someone!”)

I’ve also heard multiple stories from my daughter who is in MIDDLE SCHOOL mention that so & so is thinking about suicide! MIDDLE SCHOOL!

I understand that this issue isn’t suicide, BUT the problem here is a lack of concern! We have been so indoctrinated with violence, rape, bullying, drugs, SIN, that we laugh it off or look the other way. 

How many times have we said “that’s not my problem” or “that’s not my business”? 


I think it’s time we make it our business! It’s time we make it our concern! 

No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...