Wednesday, May 6, 2020

When Superman's Cape Gets Torn

There's been lots of talk lately about heroes. Not so much super heroes, like Marvel or DC, but everyday people that have become heroes simply by being who they are & by doing what they do. Most of them would argue passionately that they aren't doing anything special & they certainly aren't heroes.

That's part of what makes a hero even more special.

My opinion of heroes has changed over time but a few have remained through it all.

My entire life, I have been a daddy's girl. My daddy has always been a steady rock during the storms of life. He has never met a stranger & he will strike up a conversation with anyone. I can count on one hand the number of times I have seen my daddy angry & I only know of two occasions that a curse words has been uttered from his lips (it had to do with an animal pooping where it shouldn't). He hardly ever missed anything that was important in my life & he continues to support his grandchildren at the majority of their events as well. He was always ready to offer a helping hand to anyone in need. And he still kisses my forehead every time I see him.

My daddy is my hero.

He's better than superman, because he is real & he is mine!

When I was in college, we would go out & people would question if I was his wife. He has always looked young. It wasn't until after my daddy turned 60 that I started noticing he was looking more his age. That was the first time I realized he wouldn't be with me forever. That's a hard thing to deal with.

I talked to him today & he dropped a bombshell on me. He has been diagnosed with Leukemia. He found out in September but because it is considered "low grade", he didn't tell me. He didn't want to worry me. There wasn't any treatment that they wanted to start or any medicine to take so he kept it to himself.

Then about a month ago, he started getting really short of breath. He couldn't go & do like he was used to without getting very tired. He started swelling & he knew something wasn't right.

After numerous doctor's visits, X-rays, CT scans, & ultrasounds, they discovered that he has blood clots in his lungs. This is coming from the Leukemia. He has an upcoming appointment with his oncologist to talk about what to do next.

I feel like I have been punched in the stomach & the rug has been ripped out from underneath me.

I understand that we aren't at the dreaded level that so many others are, but I'm very concerned. My heart hurts at the thoughts of losing my daddy. My head hurts trying to come to terms with this.

We could all really use your prayers right now.






No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...