Monday, April 11, 2011

Tales of a Homeschool Nothing ~ Lessons from a Flock of Geese

A few weeks ago, I was reading a devotional about watching a flock of geese. Sometimes, devotionals seem to be completely irrelevant, but then WHAM, they hit you upside the head! That's how this one affected me. I have been thinking about it for days, knowing that I had to write about it. Its funny how when these thoughts get into my head, they DEMAND to get out! LOL

I've always heard that geese mate for life, so if you see a pair of them, then its pretty fair to assume that is their mate. I have also watched geese fly over our back yard in their signature "V" pattern from the pond to the pasture & back again too many times to count, so I had never noticed that the lead bird doesn't always stay in the lead. They take turns.

You may think that this is insignificant & I would have to...until I read this devotional. http://www.aophomeschooling.com/blog/daily-focus/lessons-from-a-goose/
After reading that, it put a new spin on my thinking!

There are days that I just don't feel like teaching. There are also days when we have so much that needs to be done, but something else comes up & I am not strong enough to say no. Its on those days that I feel guilty for "letting Austin off the hook" or for slacking!

He LOVES helping his daddy or his grandpa do ANYTHING! Of course he enjoys helping out on the farm, but some days he begs to go to work with them. My inlaws are self employed with plumbing, construction, landscaping, etc, so to me, its not that exciting.....but to an 8 (sigh....9 in 2 more days) year old boy, its fascinating!

Until recently, I viewed those days as a "free day" where he could just goof off. Oh, I still have so much to learn! I never realized just how much he was learning about life from all of these other people. My father in law is teaching my kids so many things that I never had the opportunity to learn & things that I wouldn't even know how to teach them & I am truly thankful for that!

This is a relief to know that all the burden is not on my shoulders like I always assume it is! Just about anyone that comes in contact with my kids has something they are able to teach them, if only we are willing to take the time to listen! I love the fact that "homeschool" is not just about learning book smarts, but about learning in general.

No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...