Thursday, January 27, 2011

Yet Another Right Taken Away

My heart is hurting tonight. I was struggling with the a situation where the kids & I are going to have to give up something that we have come to enjoy because it now compromises my family's beliefs. I was upset with the fact that something I thought was a good thing & would glorify God floundered & sold out to the world because that is the accepted way now. Too many people are trying to make church look like the world or are they trying to make the world look like church? Its hard to tell the difference now. Why is the same preaching, teaching, & beliefs that were good enough to save saints from the past no longer good enough for today's generation? I just can't comprehend it.

Then, if that's not enough of a slap in the face, I read an outrageous article about the government pulling a child from homeschool "because the teachings are too religious". Hello! That's why some people choose to homeschool. True, not every homeschool family have strong religious values. Some just don't want to deal with the junk associated with public school.

Too Religious to Home-School?


Don't get me wrong....I'm not bashing public school. It has its pros & it has its cons. After all, I turned out ok, right? (No comments from the peanut gallery, thank you very much!) I got a very good education in the public system, but I also experienced A LOT of things I would really rather my kids not participate in. I know that they have just as much chance of falling to temptation outside of public school as in, but I want them rooted & grounded in our beliefs so hopefully they can make better decisions than I did.

OK, back to the idea of homeschool being too religious.... That's the great thing about homeschool, you can CHOOSE what to teach your children. As long as the basic subjects are covered, it doesn't matter if we teach them religion, photography, farming or bowling. Seriously, they are called ELECTIVES because we elect to include them as well.

Its not the fact that this ex-husband & ex-wife disagreed on whether to homeschool their child or not. Although, they had previously agreed on this decision. Every family has the right to choose how to educate their children. What aggravates me is the fact that the government stepped in & made the child go back to public school against the mother's wishes. When did the government get to make that decision?

It is also the fact that this is infringing on freedom of choice & freedom of religion. It doesn't say what religion this woman is, but I would bet money that she is a Christian simply because if she were Jewish or Muslim, this COULD NEVER HAVE HAPPENED! She would have the support of so many groups that the courts would be scared of a lawsuit themselves.

 Why do we as Christians have to take a backseat to every other belief & opinion out there? When are we finally going to take a stand & defend what we believe in?

No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...