Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Out with the old

We have been on a deep cleaning spree at our house, & when I say "we", I mean Justin! Yes, that's right. My hubby knows how to clean!

Sorry, men out there, I know that this is a taboo secret, but I have to give credit when credit is do! Sorry, ladies, he's still working on our house so he can't come clean yours. LOL

In order to really clean, you have to drag e v e r y t h i n g  out of the room & then figure out where to put it when you are done, because half of the stuff doesn't actually belong there. So my bedroom, my bathroom, & my hall/laundry room/homeschool library look REALLY GOOD! The rest of the house ..... eh, don't come over please! We are a work in progress.

Anyway, smack during the middle of this cleaning spell, I discover that my washing machine has DIED - not to be resurrected. My dryer has been dying a slow painful loud death. Now, just a little background here - Justin & I have owned 6, that's right, 6 washing machines & 4 dryers since we have been married (not even 13 years)! We have always bought second hand, refurbished. We honestly just bought this last washing machine last year at this time, with tax money.

So, we head off to our local home improvement store & bight the bullet. I wanted one of those huge, front load, high efficiency sets. I didn't realize I would have to take out a second mortgage to pay for it. Holy cow!

Well, the one I REALLY wanted was pewter with stainless accents, BUT a white one just like it was $200 less. Being the cheapskate that I am, I couldn't justify that for color. This is where God entered the scene (ok, He was there the whole time, but decided to remind me of His presence in the next few moments).........

We asked the guy if the white one was in stock - nope, it would take about a week. Ugh, I need to wash clothes. We asked if the pewter one was in stock - had a washing machine, but could sell us the display dryer at a discount. The discount was enough for me to "justify" the color expense.
(not done yet) He was typing it all in the computer in the appliance section, when lo & behold, STRAIGHT down the aisle in front of us was a washing machine. Come to find out, it had a small dent in the bottom corner & was marked down 25%. YEAH! All in all, we saved over $400 off of the sale price & I got the one I wanted! Thank you Lord!

So, cleaning has been put on hold, & home improvement projects have taken its place.

Before with only a few shelves
(but not nearly this neat)

After with shelves to the ceiling
(really this neat)
I need a bigger stepladder!















While he was at it, Justin fixed my pantry shelves & moved the cabinet that was in the hall to the kids bathroom.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

yay!! God even gives us our "small" heart desires in times of need. Happy Spring Cleaning!

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...