Friday, April 5, 2013

Tales of a Homeschool Nothing ~ State Achievement Test & a New Plan

First off, let me apologize for my slackness in not posting an update last week. We reviewed for Austin's upcoming achievement test & honestly didn't do much of anything else that was news worthy.

Second, let me fill you in on a little insanity that I like to call Mother Nature. We went to the park on Monday because it was beautiful weather. But then it snowed yesterday! Yes, that's right. It SNOWED & sleeted in NC on April 4, 2013. Has it EVER snowed this late before? (Yes, I know it has - bear with me & my rant!)

But wait, there's more.....the weather for the next 7 days after the snow - 70's! Yep, it's time to find a new ground hog!

Ok, back to relevant issues.

Austin took his state achievement test this week. I believe that I was more nervous than he was, I couldn't sleep any the night before. Thankfully he takes it on the computer & we get the results almost immediately.

Up side - There was plenty of growth. He is still excelling in reading and doing much better in math than when he was in public school.

Down side - His language arts score was not as high as I would like so we really have to work on that.

Oh & get this ...... his listening skills were AMAZING! Um, hold up! I think they confused his score with someone else's. That kid hardly ever listens! At least now I know that he knows how! BUSTED!! LOL

So, that being said, I need to change up his LA. We have used Learning Language Arts through Literature and obviously it isn't working for us. I need ideas! I am going to have him work on Easy Peasy the rest of this year. We'll see how that goes.

We studied Ecology & Crochet with Keepers & Contenders yesterday. Austin taught archery to our 4H group. Then we went bowling! (in the snow & sleet)

I am hoping we can make it to a star party tonight for the 2013 NC Science Festival kickoff. I'll let you know.

2 comments:

Joesette said...

Girl, I'm right there with you on the weather rant. We had snow, sleet, freezing rain yesterday into this morning. We hit 70 by lunch time!!

Kirsten @ homeschool discoveries said...

It snowed here yesterday too...but I live in MN, so it is not all together unusual. :-) However we had a super early spring last year, so it seems very unfortunate this year to barely have the trees budding when they already had leaves in early April last year!

We have our required testing in May...it's my second year doing it with my oldest, so I'm happy to be more relaxed and both of us know what to expect! It's always good to get some feedback!

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...