Tuesday, April 24, 2012

How Do You Grade THAT?!

I am DREADING the next couple of days with EVERYTHING that I have in me! Its that time of year that we homeschool moms HATE!

Austin is taking his state tests tomorrow & Thursday. He's not the least bit nervous, but I am. This test (at least to me) measure so much more than what he has actually learned. They also measure my success as a teacher, his success as a student, and our success as a family.

This has been a rough year when it comes to school. We have had so many "interruptions", we have had too many days off, and we have switched curriculum after 12 weeks.

I do not feel like a complete failure this year. I KNOW that my kids have learned a lot, BUT that little piece of paper is not going to ask Austin anything raising chickens, helping on a farm, delivering calves, raising a baby, running a home business, living for Jesus, learning football plays, or developing a good work ethic! If it did, man, we would be all set!

Unfortunately, the state of NC has this list of things they think are important. Yes, I think those things are important as well, but we don't always learn just those things.

I'm glad that God sees the effort that we put in more than just the results!

2 comments:

Maria Tutterow said...

I feel your pain!! These tests make me a nervous wreck. I sure wish the tests measured "life skills" too. Some of my kids have so much knowledge that doesn't include phonics or story writing!!! :) I'll say an extra prayer for you all...please do the same for the kids in my class/school too!

loveitmom said...

Always remember, what GOD thinks is important is really all that Is Important!

You will be pleased with the progress I'm sure. Trust me, I've watched GOD fill in the gaps many years when I was inadequate as a homeschool teacher for one thing or another. I really hate you missed our meeting Monday, Sylvia spoke to some of this.

Resolve to lay aside the pride that we have wanting to make our children live up to some standard the state asks of them. Know that it's only HIS standards you really want to have anyway.

Besides, worse case scenario, no one will show up on your door step and say - "We see your son is failing homeschool, so we are dragging him back to public!" LOL, that'll be the day. No matter what you do for his teaching, you will always care more about what he accomplishes than any other teacher, school, or government every will!

Love ya, keep pressing forward In HIM!

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...