Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The Elf on the Shelf & Goodbye Magic

I did it. I FINALLY did it! I got my very own Elf on a Shelf!

I really wanted one last year but kept putting it off. Not anymore. We adopted Twinkle from Hands Mall today.

My kids are SOOOOO excited! Truth be told, I'm SOOO excited!

I wonder how much mischief she will get into? Hey, does this mean I finally have someone to blame my mess on??


In other news, today also had a sad note. I posted last year about the magic of Christmas slowly fading away. Well, today was THAT day. The day when childhood dreams give way to reality. The day when fantasy becomes a thing of the past. The day I have been dreading.......

Austin no longer believes in Santa. :(

We have been inching around this subject for quite a while now. He has asked repeatedly if Santa was real. I always respond with "what do you think?". Then, depending on his answer, I go from there.

I think he may have stopped believing long before now if he didn't have "proof". He received Rudolph's autograph a few years back. That was the icing on the cake for him!

So when he asked tonight & I responded the same way I always do, for the first time, he said he didn't think Santa was real. I asked him why he thought that way. Very straight forward & with a lot of consideration, he informed me that Santa couldn't visit everyone in one day and reindeer can't fly.

I smiled with tears in my eyes & told him he was right. He was only a little sad and he promised to keep the magic alive for Makenzie & Logan as long as he could!

He's a trooper, that little boy who continually grows up on me no matter how hard I try to stop him!

The magic of Christmas isn't in a fat man in a red suit. It isn't in a sparkly tree. It isn't in more presents than you know what to do with. The real magic is in family, love, laughter, memories, & traditions.

How about making a little magic this holiday season!

No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...