For a year now, we have been living on 1 income. It hasn't been easy, some bills have been late, we have had to say no to some things we wanted, but we still have our home & no one is going hungry! I have tried to cut back in some areas, but not as much as I needed to. Withing the past few weeks, God has really opened my eyes. Not only do I need to control spending, but I need to be frugal (ie. CHEAP) & I need to be resourceful. So I have been doing lots of homework on this.
- I use coupons & I usually save about $40 everytime I go shopping. I really want this savings to be more, but its a great start!
- I have found numerous websites with wealths of information on them. My favorites right now are:
- http://groceryshrink.com/ tips on how to spend less & save more, recipes for making your own household cleaners - a few I have tried & they actually work
- http://www.hillbillyhousewife.com/ more tips on spending & saving, frugal recipes
- I have started TRYING to use a budget & stick to it. I have always hated this because our "budget" on paper is UGLY! Trust me, we are always in the red. Its only by God's grace that we make it from month to month & that is just one reason that I KNOW I'm supposed to be at home.
- I plan a menu for the whole month that way I don't have to keep running to the grocery store (this month has been hard b/c the kids are sick, so I keep forgetting something b/c my mind is preoccupied)
- I have a cash envelope for groceries (see note above - ugh) & gas