Monday, January 21, 2013

Dogs Are NOT Clean Animals

I don't know about you, but I find inspiration from all kinds of places - things I read, things I hear, things I see, things I experience, & things God lays on my heart. I read a post over at Doorposts last week that really stuck with me.

Amazingly, I was able to use that exact lesson with my kids. Apparently, we have repeat offenders. My kids have fallen into a rut & it seems like nothing phases them.

Proverbs 26:11 "As a dog returneth to his vomit, so a fool returneth to his folly."

Everywhere I turned over the past few days, this illustration has just jumped out at me.

Whether our folly is on the lesser side or it is something more serious. We are all guilty - some of us just have a harder time walking away from our sins.

Lying, cheating, whining, fighting, stealing, arguing, idolatry, drugs, fornication, alcohol, gossip, murder, adultery.

No sin carries more weight than another. No person is safe from these sins. Some of these sins are easy to overcome for some people. But sometimes, these sins grab hold of a good person & refuse to let go. No one truly seeks out sin with the ideas that it will take over.

Rock bottom is a hard place to be, but when you reach rock bottom, you have two things going in your favor. 1. You are already on THE ROCK. 2. You have to look up.

If you are returning to the same sins over & over again, consider that dog. Do you really want a second look at your own vomit? 

No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...