Friday, August 3, 2012

Olympics - All Glory?

I am not an avid sports fanatic. I enjoy watching the occasional game, especially if I know the players. I tend to pull for certain teams due more to tradition than knowing who the players are & how they have scored this season. But, just like most of the world, I have found myself enthralled with the Olympics recently.

I have enjoyed watching the jubilation that comes with breaking records & winning gold. I have laughed along with the parents as they ride the emotional roller coaster. I have seen the devastation when the unthinkable happens. I have cringed, gasped, cheered, & sighed along with everyone else.

Among all the excitement, I can't help but think about the cost as well. These athletes begin as children & devote their whole life to being better than they ever dreamed they could be. I wonder if given the choice now, if they would do it all over again. Would they be willing to give up their childhood again? Would they train all those hours? Would they ask their parents to invest all of that money again?

A lot of them would, I'm sure. But, I just wonder if there aren't a few who would say, "No, its just not worth the cost".

Then take a look at the less fortunate countries. A lot of these athletes are hand picked as children & forced to train. These children come to not only want to do their best but NEED to do their best. The realization has been reached that the Olympics could be their only ticket out of their situation.

So what happens when they don't win that coveted medal? When they under perform? When they fail their country?

Do their coaches & sponsors continue to pump more money & time into these people who are now "losers"? Or do they cut their losses quite literally & focus on someone else? Are these former stars punished for their lack of ability?

I've heard rumors & I have my own opinions, but proof is hard to come by.

On a lighter note: I came across this little tidbit of information yesterday

"Gymnasium

The word "gymnasium" comes from the Greek root "gymnos" meaning nude; the literal meaning of "gymnasium" is "school for naked exercise." Athletes in the ancient Olympic Games would participate in the nude."

Makes you wonder, hmmm.

Well this is Logan's take on the original Olympics. Yep, he's going to KILL me one day!



No comments:

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...