Sunday, September 16, 2012

Revive Your Marriage - Man's Best Friend

Our Wedding Invitation 
I hope that you have been blessed by this series on reviving your marriage found over at Women Living Well,  Time Warp Wife , Unveiled Wife, and To Love Honor & Vacuum. If you have missed any of the posts, please take a few minutes and read over them. I'm sure someone somewhere will have written something especially for you!

We are halfway through our posts about marriage this month. We have talked about reviving our prayer life and reviving our attitude. I have seen positive results already. If your results haven't been that noticeable, please don't give up. Your marriage is worth it!

We all love our spouses, otherwise, how could we stand a lot of the stuff that they do. ;) Most of the time its easy to love the person we promised to spend forever with. Now, don't get me wrong, some days are harder than others, but we still love them.

What's hard, too often, is liking our significant other. I've told my husband a lot of times that I didn't like him. Sometimes, I was joking because he had done something crazy or embarrassing, but I have also meant it sometimes.

Most wedding vows include some sort of "to love, honor, & obey" & "for better or worse, in sickness & health". Nobody really ever addresses liking each other.

But let me ask you, how can you continually love someone when you find it difficult to even like them?

In our society, its common knowledge that a dog is man's best friend & a diamond is a woman's best friend. WHY???

Why should we continue to buy into this?

Husbands, are you tired of having a dog as your closest companion? Wives, how do you feel about being best buddies with a cold lifeless rock?

I think its time to break the stereotype! Make your spouse your best friend. After all, they are the one who  sees you at your best, encourages you at your worst, cheers the loudest, and loves the deepest. If that's not the way your relationship works, I urge you to do everything in your power to right this wrong.

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Yes - it's so important to always be best friends. I try to work on this every day with my hubby. :) Lauren, lholmes79.wordpress.com

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...