Friday, September 14, 2012

The Marriage Project - Who's In?

Remember when this was the most important thing in your life?
Ok, I told you last week that I won a copy of The Marriage Project. I was so excited because the timing was perfect. Through the month of September, we have been working on reviving our marriages.

Every one of us can use a little advice & wisdom on improving our marriage, unless your marriage is perfect (& if it is, congrats, because your the only one!). If that is you, then please, share your secrets with us! For the rest of us, please join me as we strive for a better relationship with the man or woman that we have chosen to spend the rest of our lives with.

Have you got 28 days to devout to your marriage? The first 7 of those days aren't even "project" days, they are simply allowing you time to prepare for your Project. So really, have you got 21 days to work on something that you once agreed to be part of "til death do we part"? What's 21 days in the grand scheme of time? Isn't your marriage worth that much?

I'm going to be using The Marriage Project, so if you can, then please purchase this book. It is less than $10 & its an easy read. If you can't afford it, don't have time, or just don't want to read it, that's ok too, because I'm going to tell you all about it. My biggest problem with this book is the fact that the author chose to use various different versions for quoting scripture. You know me, I am 110% KJV, so I have my Bible right there to read with the book, but other than that I have really enjoyed reading it.

So, are you ready to begin your journey into "more love & laughter"?

10th Anniversary 10-23-09
When you are considering putting your marriage on project status, please don't think you are a failure. This is just one step in realizing that you aren't perfect & you want to make every effort towards improvement that you can. We can read every book out there but unless we put the things we learn into action, it won't benefit us any. James 2:17 "Even so faith, if it hath not works, is dead, being alone." 

We must be intentional in our efforts to make our marriage better. Don't dwell on the mistakes, faults, & failures; intentionally search out the best in your spouse & cling to that.

What if your spouse is completely against doing this project with you? That's ok, do it anyway! The marriage project isn't about making your husband or wife better, it is about making you better, making your marriage better. 

"This isn't just about what we can do in our marriages.
It's about what God can do when we obey, 
even when it doesn't seem to make a difference.
It's about practicing good habits when the
 easy thing to do would be to go and watch TV.
It's about loving our spouses when they're not
lovable and when we don't feel loving.
It's about doing what God has designed you to do even 
when it feels as if it's having no effect on your spouse...
because it's having an effect on you."

Since we are working on improving our relationship, our outlook, & our attitude, it makes perfect since that we will also address s e x  Yes, people, that's right. Believe it or not, a healthy marriage MUST involve a healthy sex life. Now, if you have medical issues, then you are off the hook. But, if you are relatively healthy, then.......... Stop the excuses, we are ALL busy. We are ALL tired. We ALL have other things that need our attention. God ordained marriage. He blessed it. He created man & woman to be together. WHY else would our bodies look so funny?! Here is a new perspective from Kathi Lipp

"If your spouse is in the mood and you're not,
ask him or her to wait a couple of minutes. 
Go into the bathroom and prepare yourself and pray.
Take a shower and ask God to give 
you the heart that you need at the moment.
Something remarkable happens when you take 
a couple of minutes to prepare, pray, and refocus.
I can't guarantee it for everyone,
but it's a strategy that many of my friends
and I use, and it works."

When I first told you that she wanted you to ask your spouse to wait a few minutes, how many of you instantly thought, "Yeah, maybe if I wait long enough, they will fall asleep."? Yeah, I'm guilty of that too, but go ahead & get that thinking out of your head! I never said it would all be easy, but with some effort, it will certainly be worth it!

One last thought as you consider this. 
"The Project is about my part, and it's not my job
to fixate on our failures or try to solve 
all our problems in 21 days. My job, simply put,
 is to bless my spouse. As for me, 
I will do all I can to bless my mate,
regardless of the response or result. 
That's my Marriage Project."

I will be posting the projects shortly so stay tuned & start to prepare for an incredible journey!

I hope you join me & my husband as we spend the next 28 days on a quest to bring back what we have been missing in our marriage! Let me know how its going.


1 comment:

Falen said...

How great is this? I'll follow along your posts and see how this goes for you guys! Praying for your next 28 days.

Falen
UpwardNotInward.blogspot.com

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...