Layout

Sunday, July 14, 2013

Strawberry Lemon Bars

While trying to come up with a yummy strawberry dessert, I happened across one for Strawberry Lemon Bars. It looked tasty, simple, & I had everything on hand to make it, so why not?! Of course, I never follow directions completely, so I put my own twist on things.

It turned out great, but when I make it again, I will change just a few things. The original recipe called for lining an 8 x 8 pan with aluminum foil. The 8 x 8 pan made the bars too "bready" in the middle, so I will probably switch to a shallow pan. I probably won't line it with foil next time either. Aluminum foil & fillings do not mix well.

So without further ado......


Strawberry Lemon Bars with Lemon Glaze

Ingredients for the bars:
2 1/4 cups flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
3/4 cup sugar
1 cup butter
1 tsp of lemon juice

1 tsp of almond extract
1 tsp of vanilla extract
1 egg 
1/2 cup - 1 cup of diced fresh strawberries (I just kept adding until it looked full) 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350.
Stir together flour, baking powder and salt. 
Mix sugar and butter with electric mixer.  
Add egg, lemon juice, vanilla, & almond. 

Mix in flour mixture.
Fold in diced strawberries by hand.
Coat pan with Crisco & lightly dust with flour.

Pour batter into pan.
Bake for about 35-45 minutes until done.
Let the bars cool before cutting and glazing.

For the Glaze
1 cup of confectioners sugar 
lemon juice (enough to make it slightly runny)

Whisk together and pour over cooled bars.

Post a Comment