Sunday, July 7, 2013

When Your Pest Becomes a Pet

Living on a farm, we have an abundance of animals around here. We have a dog, a couple of pigs, about 12 cows, and around 100 chickens.We have plenty of song birds, crows, doves, bats, and untold amounts of flying critters. We have also been known to spot raccoons, possums, stray cats, groundhogs, and even coyotes wandering around.

Here lately, our abundance of pets has quadrupled. It appears that we are also housing & feeding countless ant colonies & enough flies to make napping a thing of the past!

Are you with me here? Do you find yourself singing "Where Have All The Flies Come From" to the tune of Paula Cole?

Well, if you are anything like me, you are ready to do just about anything short of hanging fly strips from your ceiling & lining the window sills with poison. So let's investigate some frugal, friendlier options to inform our special guests that they are no longer welcome at our homes.







Do you have anything that has been especially helpful in controlling your pests?



4 comments:

Blaze said...

Hi Tracie,

I grew up on a farm, so I really understand what you're talking about!

Where I live now our pests include deer, a Buck, a Doe, and two baby fawns to be exact. Honestly, I can try to fight them, but I've decided to embrace their presence instead. I have a lot less flowers as a result, but I feel like I'm honoring our relationship by not spraying or putting out deterrents.

I hope your pests pack up and move out soon!

All the best,
Blaze

SuttonsDaze said...

We have a ton of ant hills this year. They are everywhere and I was wondering how much I need to worry about it. So far, so good. They are not getting into the house or the chicken feed. We'll play it by ear for the moment. But Thank You! for the great resources.

Katharine said...

I grew up on a farm, too. We had all kinds of visitors some less welcome than others. I really couldn't done with the mouse that ran across my foot one winter morning while getting dressed for school! I've been hearing of folks having some bad ant problems without any relief. Those seem to come back monthly. While living in Missouri I found Cinnamon to deter the ants enough until our pest control came. Pinterest has many pins of natural pest controls recipes, you might want to check there!

Ruth said...

I am going to check these out because flies are absolutely horrible out here in Yelm, WA. The water bags did not work--we tried those. But I am checking out your other ideas. Linking up from UBC.
http://mydevotionalthoughts.net

I think I'm going to follow you, too.

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...