Saturday, July 13, 2013

Our 4th of July Festivities

I thought about posting this earlier with a look at what I "wanted" to do just in case people needed ideas for celebrating. But I decided instead to give you a glimpse of what we actually did.

This year, the 4th of July holiday turned into a 4 day weekend for us. Justin took off on Thursday & Friday, & then amazingly we didn't have ANYTHING planned for Saturday! It was nice not having to be somewhere.

We had a cookout Thursday with friends & family. Check out my Patriotic Punch! I was so excited that this actually worked. The taste wasn't that great, but then again, I don't like Sprite so I wasn't too surprised. I also took the time to make a strawberry flag poke cake & chocolate dipped marshmallows & pretzels.


I found some really cool patriotic music to listen too from Amazon. And here performed by the US Marine Band. Best of all, it was FREE! Austin was not too impressed though.

We worked on our missionary study Around the World in 60 Days. (I'll add a link later after we have completed it. Check back at the end of August.)

We made firework paintings.

Justin read the Declaration of Independence & we even signed a pledge saying that we would. In return, we are getting a free copy mailed to us!

No summer celebration is complete without a trip to Stone Mountain for fishing, swimming, & ice cream! The water was WAY up and much colder than normal due to all the rain lately. The current was very swift as well, so Austin caught the only fish ... with his HAND.


5 comments:

Linda Hampton said...

Such a nice summer holiday celebration. It's almost rare these days as far as I can see. And reading the Declaration of Independence on the Fourth of July is something we all should do. For those of us in the United States we must remember that the fourth is more than a holiday it's a celebration and acknowledgement of what our forefathers fought for.

charlottebabb said...

It's good to spend time with family and remember what we need freedom for. Happy UBC.

Peggy Nolan said...

Sounds like you had an amazing 4th of July! Don't you just love having nothing on your schedule? My husband and I purposely leave one weekend a month where NOTHING is planned. Invitations are declined (unless we want to participate) and we do whatever we want - even if it's nothing :-)

amyyoungmiller said...

What fun! I love celebrating the Fourth. It sounds like you had a wonderful celebration!

Penny McDaniel said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time celebrating! A friend of mine presented me with chocolate covered marshmallows as a long-stemmed bouquet. She placed them in a vase with red, white, and blue tissue paper and streamers. What a creative idea!

Dear Class of 2021

You started your senior year like every one of us, holding your breathe. You didn't know what would happen, what would come next. You di...